CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Milestone



I've finally blogged one hundred posts. Actually I know it's more than that, but I've had a few deleted posts every now and again. Aaron said that in honor of this milestone I should write about something spectacular. So I thought I'd write about my awesome hair today.

Hair is a huge deal for me. Growing up, I remember my dad doing my hair in braids with beads at the end. Anything I wanted done my dad could make a reality. My hair was long and thick. Then when I was around eight I got it into my head that my hair wasn't "good,"so I begged my dad to relax it. For those of you who don't know lots of African-American women chemically relax their hair. Against his better judgement my hair was relaxed and then if fell out. I had to cut it all off into a very short little afro and I remember feeling like the ugliest duckling.

It wasn't until two years ago that I finally stopped relaxing my hair decided to go natural. Aaron has been super supportive and my sisters have actually ditched their relaxers too. They have the cutest afros! What I have discovered with my natural hair is versatility, I'm not afraid of how it looks coming out of my head. I no longer think of my hair as something to be tamed or managed. In fact, this week is the first time since I was eight that I actually wore an afro. The first day I was really nervous but as the week wore on the freedom of not worrying about my hair every morning was amazing!

Here's a picture of my rockin' afro! Thanks to Aaron for his twisting assistance.

12 comments:

Lynnette

Love it!! All Natural is the way to go!

Amanda Morgan

Super Cute!

Oh, and nursery is a unique beast. You really just have to feel things out between policy and parents, and then chart your own course in those guidelines. Having had a few tours of duty myself, I'm certainly here for ya!

Katie

I love it Trine!!

Shannon

I think it looks so cute!

kmb

I really do love it!

The Letterman's

way cute! you look good!!

Sandy Brunson

I do love it. And I think it's awesome of you for embracing the natural do.

I'm tired of pretending I have hair that can grow long. I intend on cutting it very short the first free second I get this week...

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia

I remember your dad doing your hair in high school, and all of us sitting on the bed with you, watching his magic fingers at work.

The taste of freedom is sweet. You are beautiful.

Kevin & Rhiannon

I think it's awesome! I think it's funny how you've tried all these years to relax your hair and I've tried to make my hair look messy.

Janet Nelson

Trine: Didn't know you even had a blog! Found it from Lynnette's....
Cute!
-mom nelson

Jensen Family

I love it...so sassy!! i remember about your hair, but I thought you were always beautiful!

Nollie

Trines, you look really cute. Sorry I've been such a bad friend and it's taken me so long to comment on your blog postings. I am so glad you guys are liking AZ. Good luck in nursery, you are a champ to do it!!!