CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pvt. Nelson

I've just been called to my first tour of duty in primary! For the foreseeable future I will be working in the nursery. Asher is allowed to come with me, which is nice since he'd just be in the hall anyway. Honestly, I found myself a little overwhelmed today with 12 kids. There are two other women in the nursery too, but it's still more kids than I've been responsible for at one time. Just uncharted territory. For example, I'm not sure how to navigate potty training. Do I just take the child by myself or should I get their parents? I think I'd want to do that myself with Asher, but different strokes and all of that. People get touchy about their kids and I don't want any parents upset with me. (Nicole, none of the above scenarios are about R.) Today's lesson I learned in nursery is that apples don't have skins on them at church. So funny!


5 comments:

Sandy Brunson

Oh I am excited for the posts to follow this calling! Good luck with that. I count my lucky stars I am not in the nursery. Someone was released from the nursery today and I was pleased to see they were immediately replaced so I didn't have to have nightmares of being extended that calling. Good luck to you!

kmb

I am still in nursery and actually love it. But I think it is mainly because the main leader is pretty strict about her rules! Parents stay with their crying children if they cry longer than 5 minutes and we always go get the parents for diaper changes and potty breaks (I think that is church policy anyways)...Hang in there! I hope you enjoy it :)

Nicole Johnson

It is so funny that you made sure to say your comments weren't about my guy! I totally thought you were talking about him with the aggressive part. If it ever is him, tell me right away:) Good luck with nursery and skinless apples. They don't have skins at my house either. If they do, the kids eat them like watermelon and leave the skin! I have a cool contraption that slices and takes the skin off! Let me know if you want me to bring apples!

Lynnette

Nursery, huh?!? Fun, fun!! It does make it easier if you can take Asher. I have seriously given up on hearing any of church until Carson starts going to nursery himself. Good luck! I'm sure you will figure it all out soon.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia

Woo hoo! What an adventure! This calling is a lot of work, but it can be great. It's good to have lots of structure and consistency. As far as discipline goes, redirection is the key. It's nice to have a questionnaire for parents to ask them about allergies and other stuff and to establish some ground rules. But I'm sure your leader has that in place. In my experience, the worst thing that can happen is to let the kids just "play" for two hours. It's not the program, and it doesn't work. They get tired and irritable. So do the adults! I remember so many times I didn't feel up to it. But it's worth it. Caring adults guiding kids through lesson time, singing time, snack time, books and puzzles and play time can all work together to help the kids begin to learn some basic social skills and to have a good time at church.