CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Go for the Gold


The olympics have kept me occupied at night for the past week. I have always enjoyed watching the games and learning about the athletes. (My new favorite is Cullen Jones.  Not only is he a cutie, he also started a great program for inner-city kids. He's the second from the left. )  Swimming is my favorite to watch. Michael Phelps is an amazing athlete.  Having said that, I wish the reporters at NBC would realize that there is a whole team that have worked just as hard as Mr. Phelps and they also have proud parents!  I hope he gets his eighth medal tonight, mainly because I don't want to hear about what a "failure" he is for just getting seven gold medals and one silver.  

The men's gymnastic team (that picture is hilarious to me.) did a terrific job too, especially for not being considered medal contenders after the Hamm twins were injured. The joy they had at placing third was wonderful. Especially in comparison to what happened the following night with the women's team, which was also plagued with injuries.  A silver medal is nothing to be ashamed of! I wanted to hurt the reporter interviewing the team after the competition. I applaud Alicia for not breaking down in tears with those questions. Those girls have worked hard and sacrificed quite a bit (their bodies and social lives) to compete at this level.  

Trampoline is a sport....who knew?

Track and field started and I've now found where all the Black people were hiding. I've decided to grow my hair out naturally so this is a good time to study hair and scout out a new do! I'll write more about my hair in another post. Here's a preview from the latest experiment.

7 comments:

Stoltzen2012

Hi from Norway,

I just thought your name, Trine sounded so Scandinavian...is that true? Beautiful baby by the way :o)

-Linda-

Strupp Family

I personally love watching the olympics. I like Cullen myself. I saw the clip of him working with the inner city kids with swimming and stuff. It's great there are people like that who actually try to give back to society and the community. Bless them all! Such great fun to learn about all the olympians. Even ones from other countries. Like Pellegrini--the swimmer from Italy and her little love triangle with the French swimmers. Crazy. Anyway, your hair and your baby are just wonderful. Tell us more about all the cute things he does!

Sandy Brunson

Thank you for sharing that picture of the gymnasts! It is great really. My love for the Olympics is deep. I also love the hair experiment. Like you said...new hair new you!

Amanda Morgan

Steve and I likely spent at least half of our family vacation glued to the olympics. Somewhere between Cali and Utah, our sister hearts collided, because I agree with many of your sentiments.

Unquestionably, Phelps is a phenom, amazing, and historic, but when there's a team gold, the cameraman seems to alternate between the tight Phelps shot, and the "other guys" shot. I would have liked to have seen the emotion on the others' faces as well! The media seemed to keep twisting it into the team winning for Phelps, but I think the team, including Phelps, would say they are a team winning for a team, for pride, for the pursuit of excellence and the surpassing of conceived human limits, and for the good old team USA. I'm sure they wanted all the success in the world for Phelps, but I think they take each race one at a time, expecting excellence from each.

Also had the same thought about the "disappointing silvers". I understand there are expectations (some real, some created for marketing), but really, listen to some of the stories about countries that have never won any medal, and then watch one of their athletes get a bronze! Or better yet, I loved watching the swimmer (shame on me for not knowing the name - too tired for research now) who finished so far after the other swimmers the pool was practically placid again, yet she finished, look at the board, and pumped her arm because it was a personal best. Now that's the olympic spirit!

Anyhoo! Thank you for letting me rant my simple rant. I'll call you and we can continue! :)

Jensen Family

You always give me a good laugh! I especially loved your observations in sacrament meeting! On the Olympics, I totally agree with you. Alicia already felt bad enough and then they sit there and question her about it! I felt so bad for her! I just watched the individual event and she totally got robbed on vault! I am still raving about that one! I wish I could just give the poor girl a hug! Thanks for the laughs!

Nollie

Admit it, you just like Cullen Jones because his name is the same as the vampires. :) Kidding!

Permission to be candid: That gymnast picture creeps me out. It reminds me of the shirtless firefighter calendar pictures that are supposed to be sexy but make me feel a bit uncomfortable for some reason.

P.S. Michael Phelps is the doppelganger of my high school boyfriend. Good or bad, you decide. It's just always wierd for me to watch him swim because I feel like I'm looking at someone I know.

Nollie

Chippendales goes to the Shire. I was dying when I read that. A perfect description.