CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Blessings, Buddies, and a Book Review

This post is going to be pretty disjointed, so bare with me.

Today we blessed Asher.  It was a pretty low-key event, which is what we wanted. The best part, other than the blessing, was that Ash didn't cry and saved spitting up until we got his bib back in place!  His buddy Reed was also blessed today. Last week we tried to have a photos shoot of the two boys and here was the best I could do.  


I would also like say thanks for everyone who left a comment about baby gas. All of your ideas were sooo helpful!  I think we've got a system now that keeps it pretty under control and gives us a happier baby.  Here's the latest picture of our little clan.


Yesterday I read the last installment of the Twilight series. I know that a lot of people really like this series. For me, I just needed to have closure. Kind of like how I've read the dragon books, (Eragon and Eldest) I really dislike them, but I'll read the third one just to see how it finishes. Breaking Dawn was a fine book, if a little predictable.  Perhaps I've just need to enjoy reading or watching movies as they go along instead of trying to work out the endings way before they happen. The Young Women in my ward love this series because of the romance.  I found the romance in this edition a little mature for the YA crowd. Anyone who reads this is free to disagree with me. 

I'm not really uptight about sexuality or anything, I was just a little caught off guard with where the story went in that direction. There was nothing explicit but I was left feeling uneasy.  The girls I work with at church and at work already have unrealistic expectations about relationships and I found myself feeling this would just fuel those expectations even further. However, figuring out that life isn't what you've always seen portrayed in the media is a rite of passage.

Below is a picture of the release party we drove by. Aaron thought I was insane, he offered to let me go in and really participate in the madness, but I declined.  There are limits. 



9 comments:

Sandy Brunson

What a fine looking family! So sad I couldn't have been there but I'm glad it was a good day for you all. I refuse to read the twilight books and I get a lot of grief about it but they just don't sound that great. I think I'll see the movie though...

Strupp Family

So, I don't think I've even heard of the twilight books until just recently when the RS pres. and the 2nd counselor were discussing them. I was really out of the loop on that one--how embarrassing. But then they tried to explain what it was about and it all sounded dumb to me. Really? There's a rage with this? I mean, I can really even understand Harry Potter (although I do not partake) but vampires? Whatever. I guess I'm missing out. One day when someone puts the book in my hand, I will read it. Until then, I'm not going to pursue :)

Trine, your baby is so handsome. I'm glad you got some helpful comments on the gas. Keep those in mind for when I have this one. I'm sure all sorts of new things will come up for me.

Amanda Morgan

What a good-looking family!!
Let's schedule that get-together soon!

Nollie

So what happens in the book??? I know you'll tell me. Call me and give me the dish.

I loooove your family picture, you look gorgeous! The picture of the two floppy headed babies made me laugh. :)

Lynnette

You guys are so cute. So, where did you get your blessing outfit for Asher? All I can find are those satin little suit looking things. I have never really liked that look - it's a little cheesy for me. I'm not convinced it needs to be all white. I just haven't found anything I like.

Ashley

Your baby is so handsome!

alexis

I am definitely not a prude but I agree with you about the content of the book. Not just this last one, but all four of them seemed to be a little inappropriate for the crowd it's being marketed to. I mean, my 13 year-old sister is reading these books. I know she's smart enough to know better, but still...Not to say that I didn't enjoy me some vampire romance, because I did, but you know, just sayin'.

Jensen Family

Glad to know that Asher is happier now...it is no fun to have gas. So happy to hear the blessing went well. Your family is so cute and you look so good! I love the hair! One last thing, I am so glad about what you said about the YW having unrealistic expectations about relationships! Being married, you find that what the media portrays is soooo far off based! I wish I could have known those things before I got married! I mean you know some if it, but some thing you can't learn until you get married and are in the moment! I hope that made sense!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia

Trine, I agree with you about the book/series and feuling unrealistic and even debilitating expectations.

So overall I'm not interested in reading them, either. But being a sometime YA librarian, it's no surprise that this stuff is appealing. The last good vampire book out there was called (I think) The Silver Kiss. It's the kind of book that was always stolen out of the middle school library and passed from locker to locker. Probably Twilight is a step up from here.

Oh, beautiful handsome family! Beautiful Mom! I'm glad the blessing was a good experience.