CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Greatest Christmas Movies

Aaron and I have now rearranged our netflix queue so that we will be able to watch all of our holiday movies in December. Most holiday movies that I love are ones from when I was a kid. So I thought I'd do a post dedicated to the movies I love.

Our first Christmas together we watched Babes in Toyland as we built a gingerbread house. I remember that we search all over town to find this show and finally found it at the library. I had called about 15 minutes before closing and then made Aaron speed over there so I could get my fix. I hope that this comes in the mail soon it's listed as a long wait.

The Muppet Christmas Carol has to be my absolute favorite. I love all the Muppet movies. The songs are so catchy. Aaron read A Christmas Carol last week and had a difficult time because he kept imagining the songs from the Muppet's. We have the original version of this show. The anniversary edition is missing a love song that always makes me laugh. Perhaps they took it out because instead of being a poignant moment it leave you with the giggles. Not because of the lyrics but because the woman singing has the best facial expressions. Seriously though, how poignant are the Muppet's supposed to be?

Finally, what movie post would be complete without a mention of Elf? According to Netflix, this is the most rented holiday movie. For me, this is the best Will Ferrel movie. The soundtrack is great and the humor isn't crass. This movie also reminds me of the trip I took to New York with Sandy four years ago for her birthday. (HAPPY 29 SAND!!) All the tourist attractions were decorated and it was just a really great time. We also saw Wicked, but that's another post.

What holiday movies do you love? I'm always looking for new things to put on the queue.


7 comments:

The Webber's

Trine-
I am a big holiday movie fan as well! It has been forever since I have seen Babes in Toyland - Maybe I will have to pick it up! In Darren's family, the fav is National Lampoon's Christmas vacation. I had never seen it until we got married and I think I was missing out on half of the family jokes until I watched it! It is a little wierd, but funny if you watch it with the Webber's. My family loves The Christmas Story, but it is not the same if my brother isn't there to watch it with. We like the Christmas Eve marathon on TBS! I am a big Home Alone fan too and I love all the old school Christmas specials and the Grinch! I really don't know if there is a Christmas movie I don't like! Let me know if you discover any other good ones! I am loving all the stuff that has been on TV already! Another favorite is The Sound of Music - It isn't really a Christmas movie, but it always comes on at Christmas time!

Sandy Brunson

Why in the world does Elf remind you of New York? But I'm glad to be mentioned in the post...thanks for the b-day shout out too!

My favorites:
White Christmas
the cartoon Grinch
The Santa Claus (original...no sequels)
It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th street
Rudolph (the claymation)
Frosty the Snowman (cartoon)
Charlie Brown Christmas
and of course...A Muppet Christmas Carol. It's on in the background right now as I decorate my apartment!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia

"When love is gone, when love is gone....!" They took that out? :)

I do like the movies you mentioned. Do you remember a new Babes in Toyland with Scott Bao? I have a vague memory...

In addition and in no particular order (and some of the following only have parts about Christmas)...

It's a Wonderful Life
The Christmas Story
The Bishop's Wife
Remember the Night
The Bell's of St. Mary's
White Christmas
Prancer
Christmas in Connecticut
Rudolph
Miracle on 34th Street (old one)
Mr. Krueger's Christmas
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
Holiday Inn
Meet. Me in St. Louis
Muppet Family Christmas
Home Alone
Come to the Stable
The Snowman
The Grinch (and all the other little cartoon holiday specials I have a fondness for)

Hooray for the library! The Orem Library should have all of these if Netflix fails you. Thanks for this. Making the list has been almost as good as watching.

Laura

I love watching Christmas movies during the holidays! As I read through everyone's comments...they have pretty much listed everything that I would have said, so I don't have anything new to add, sorry! Except "Mickey's Christmas Carol" where Scroodge McDuck plays Ebenezer! : ) Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Kevin & Rhiannon

I like all the traditional ones: White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, and Miracle on 34th Street (old one). I also LOVE Christmas Vacation, Christmas Story, Elf, and the claymation movies (Heat Miser!).

Mrs. Lundgreen

Those three are in my top 10! Gotta love 'em.

Mrs. Lundgreen

oh, and White Christmas is one of my VERY favorites