CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 15, 2008

Joy to the World

December is seriously the busiest month of the year in the Nelson household. Not only do we have the usual holidays that keep everyone busy, but we also have several family birthdays and our anniversary. This year, much to Aaron's dismay, I didn't really want anything for Christmas. I eventually gave in and we decided to get a family gift we could enjoy together. We don't need more stuff. Does anyone else ever feel that way? I'd much rather give to a Sub-for-Santa or an Angel tree.

I'm not writing this to be a Grinch. I am very grateful for the blessings we have been given. The other night by 14 year-old brother asked what I would wish for if I had one wish. His was that he would own one of every instrument in the world and be able to play them professionally. Band geeks unite! My wish would have been for everyone I love to be able to be happy and kept from harm. Oh to be fourteen again. Back then I would have wished for world power or millions of dollars. Now I know that you can never really ask for more than to have the ones you love to be protected and happy.

4 comments:

Jenny/Moravia

It's amazing how your perspective changes in 20 yrs or so. I think at 14 I had the same wish as your brother. I was also a band geek :)

Lynnette

I'm with you. Christmas has become too commercialized. Although we have tried to simplify, it is still hard. Trying to find that perfect gift for everybody gets overwhelming sometimes.

Jensen Family

I love this post! Now that I have a family of my own, all I want is for them to be protected and to never have anything bad happen to them! Thank goodness for prayer! This Christmas has been nice because we are focusing on food storage and emergency essential things! It has made us really think about Christmas in the right way!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia

My mother-in-law always says all she wants is happy children. I know what she means more and more these days.

I always have something I want in mind, like a new sweater or a CD, but I somehow never think of it as needing to be for Christmas. We can get those things any old time we can afford it. Curt and I haven't given each other gifts like that for Christmas for a while. It wasn't planned, and we're not lazy...it just evolved that way.

I DO love to carry out traditions like making certain foods and decorating a tree, etc. But the best present I look forward to is a love note from Curt.